Tuesday 2 June 2015

A day in Museum of London Docklands

It is my first day unemployed.
I tendered my resignation as I am planning to go back to Malaysia for good in 2 months time.
So I decided to document my journey from now until the day I am leaving UK in July. It is bittersweet to leave a place that I love so much but I guess it is fated.

I'm living around the Canary Wharf area and I used to see this museum on my way to the Jubilee line.  I'm always curious of what's inside but I never have the time. So, I think I should explore my neighbourhood before venturing other places.

Went there just before lunch and there were not may people around. Well, it is a Monday.

The exhibition starts from Level 3 so I took the lift, well there's stairs too if you fancy. The lift door open and there hanging a small medieval boat. It was quite a display. The gallery starts with the history of London during the Roman, Danish & Norman period. It was quite a fascinating read.

It does have a special section dedicated to slavery in the UK. Apparently West India Dock is a major artery for transporting slaves from the African continent to the UK and also to the English colonies in America. Along with the slaves, the English transported sugar & rum (Coincidently, the cafe in the Museum is of the same name 'Sugar & Rum'). Demand of sugar increases due to increase in coffee consumption by the European.

There is also an exhibition where the docklands area was reconstructed, it was so creepy and so life-like, it scares me. I was halfway the exhibition that I decided to turn back, when I saw a museum staff walking my way. She saw that I looked scared and was so sweet to walk with me till the re-contsruction exhibition ends. Embarrassing but....

The second level exhibits the modern docklands and redevelopment of the area which includes Canary Wharf. It struck me that it was great battle to develop Canary Wharf into what it is today. From local disputes and financial recession, it took almost 30 years to realise the dream. I guess it's for the better...

Overall, it was informative and interesting, but not much of exhibition display though. It was a quite day and no noisy kids running around. But I'm not sure how's the condition during school holidays though.

p/s Do try the Victoria sponge cake from the cafe is quite good but the cappuccino is so pricey.

Front entrance

Exhibition / Galleries

The first display - Medieval boat

Scenery around the museum

Robert Milligan  - He was the driving force behind the construction of West India Dock

No comments:

Post a Comment