Monday 15 June 2015

London Tube Challenge : Jubilee line

I read about this Tube Challenge in an article somewhere and I was intrigued. What is Tube Challenge? It is the accepted name for the Guinness World record attempt to visit all the stations on the London Underground network in the fastest time possible. The record for fastest completion is currently held for 16 hours, 14 minutes and 10 seconds.

Hmm why not? Let's do something crazy. I'm not going to break the record, of course. But, I'm going to try visit as much stations as I can. Bought a week travel card that covers from zone 1 to 3. I don't  plan to tag out if there's nothing to see outside of the station. So, I guess the travel card is sufficient to cover my journey. It costs me 40 quids for a week. Better make the most of it.


I decided to start off with the Jubilee line as that's the one that I'm familiar with. The journey started from Canary Wharf station towards Stanmore. I got down at Bermondsey station just to have a look at the area. I was curious. Walked from Bermondsey to London Bridge station. I've put up a post on that part of the journey earlier (see blog post here)

Next, I got down at Green Park Station which took me straight to St. James' Park. There were a lot of people lying on the green grass, enjoying the warm weather. Snapped some pictures and continue on to my next destination.

The station looked like it had gone thorough refurbishment. The red tiles really brighten up the otherwise grubby looking station.
St Johns Wood - There's where the famous Abbey Road Studio and zebra crossing are. The walk from the station to the studio was very relaxing and hardly any passers by around. But then I saw a bunch of people standing beside a road. Oh my god, it was so funny looking at those people trying to get the 'Beatles shot' on the zebra crossing. And the poor drivers need to stop everytime someone tries to cross. I did not take any picture but I had fun watching, though.

Swiss Cottage - The district is named after an  inn called the 'The Swiss tavern' that was built in 1804 and on the site of a former tollgate keeper's cottage. The inn's later named to Swiss Cottage. It is now becomes a pub. The station itself dated from 1939.


Finchley Road - I stopped by the station to find something to eat. There's a Mark & Spencer and Waitrose just outside the station. Then I saw a sign to Freud Museum. I decided to follow it just out of curiosity. Well, the route through the Trinity Walk was kind of challenging with a 60 degrees steep. Unfortunately, the museum was close that day. It only opens from Wednesday to Sunday. But at least I've seen his last house from outside.
I saw this Victorian building which I guess a pub with 1850 plaque on it. I googled it and according to London Remember, It was built in 1850 as one of first building to grace the new Finchley Road. It was purpose built as a pub.

I continue on the Jubilee line without stopping at any station till I reached the end of the line, Stanmore station.

It was a tiring feat to achieve and it took me 7 hours to complete the ride from Stratford to Stanmore and back. But I did take my own sweet time exploring the area nearby the station as well. Will I continue with other line? I don't know. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment