Wednesday 3 June 2015

Girl lost in a city

Actually, my initial plan is to visit Kenwood House in Hampstead Heath. But my hubby was against the idea as he was worried about my safety. He felt that it's not safe to go too far out from the city without him. Well, I take it that he cares about me. So the plan flew out of the window. 

Then I thought why not visit the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square. I've been living in London for 2 years but I never went in. Ok, back-up plan is ON!

Went to Argos in Westfield Stratford to pick up my new pedometer which cost me like 4 pounds, dirt cheap. Then, off I go on the DLR towards Bank station. But somehow, my brain was not programmed  correctly, and I went out the station and tada! there I stand in from of the Royal Exchange in the middle of the Bank junction. I forgot that I'm going to the National Gallery. I supposed since I'm here why not just explore the area. So there I was, at the Bank junction taking pictures after pictures like an actual tourist. 


Bank Junction

I kept on walking towards St Paul Cathedral along Cheapside street. Even though the street name is Cheapside but the outlet along the street in not cheap, all designers. Again took some pictures at St Paul Cathedral. Thought of going to see what's inside but to my surprise the entrance fees in 16 pounds. Too expensive! I walked out of the cathedral disappointed. 

St Paul (sorry for the horrible photo, though)


I dropped by the London Tourist Info Centre just across St' Paul and picked up lots of brochures. Then I saw a sign outside the centre for a guided walk along Fleet Street themed 'High life vs Low life'. It was supposed to showcase the stark difference between the rich and poor Londoners during the 1900. Waited and waited but didn't see the tour guide anywhere so again need to think of what else to do. Walked along Peters Hill and  cross the River Thames from the Millennium Bridge. 




 Millennium Bridge 


Saw this hideous brown building in front of me, the Tate Modern Gallery. Well, why not try new things today. So I stepped into the Tate building.


Tate Modern Gallery

Actually it's a bit funny for me going to an art gallery as I used to failed my Art subject during my primary school days. My mom used to laugh at my drawings whenever I showed her my homework for Art. I think my Art teacher just hates me and that's the reason I failed the subject and not because of lack of interest in art hahahahahaha.......

Some of the galleries are free and some with entrance fees. I had a look at the free galleries and thought that it looks the same as my drawings during my school days. Why, I think my Art teacher never had a chance to learn modern art. My drawings were ahead of time, too modern and abstract for her.  Ok, enough rambling about my old Art teacher. 

The only interesting thing in the building is the viewing balcony outside of the cafe on Level 3. It has the best view of St' Paul and other buildings along the Thames. 

Took a short coffee break at the cafe while  updating my notes. I keep notes of the area and things that I saw along the way. Then I remembered that I did visit Tate Gallery in Liverpool but it was much smaller compared to London. Mental note to self: I need to put up an entry about my visit to Liverpool & Manchester last February.

It's time to head home as it is almost 4 pm. Walked towards the Monument station along the River Thames to Southwark Bridge and then heads to Cannon Street. There's a nice mural on a wall at Queenhithe on the Thames Path. It depicts the history of London from Roman times to now. 





The Thames Path is quite isolated and not many passers-by, so I did get a little bit worried. 

It was a good day as I did try new things today but it is tiring as I did miss a few turns here and there. Need to have a better route plan next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment