Tuesday 9 June 2015

A day in Kenwood House

I really wanted to visit Kenwood House since I saw the Notting Hill movie back in early 2000. The house was in the background when Julia Robert was filming Henry James' movie. Actually I love old Victorian and Georgian houses. Sometimes. I wished that I was born in those period of time, in upper class society of course :-) Oh, the dresses, the afternoon tea, the parties and balls!

How to get there?
I took the Northern line towards Edgware and stopped at Golden Greens station. Once there, I was supposed to take a bus No. 210 to Kenwood House. But, when I reached the station, I saw a bus station and not a bus stop. There were lots of bus stops and buses including National Express busses. I was quite loss and asked around for the correct bus stop to go to. The first was wrong and I waited 10 minutes but no 210 bus. I asked again and finally found the bus stop that is slightly outside the bus station, stop GK. Lucky, a bus was due to arrive in 1 minute, otherwise more waiting for me. Got on the bus and nervously watching the bus stop announcement/indicator. I got down at Kenwood House stop, like 5 stops away (20 minutes) from the tube station. But, I didn't see the entrance gate and I walked the wrong way (towards the direction of travel) instead the opposite. I walked till I reached another bus stop and another gate, the Compton Avenue/Kenwood House stop. Silly me.


The House
There's no entrance fees to the house but donations are welcome. The staffs are welcoming compared to other houses I've been to. They are approachable and knowledgable as well, I guess its a pre-requisite skill to have anyway.

The highlight of the house is the Library room. It was painted in pastels colour scheme and the ceiling is magnificent. It's my favourite room of the whole house.



The rest of the house are filled with beautiful paintings and portraits. There's one portrait where a lady was posing in her bridesmaid dress and it was quite fashion forward for that period. I was told that a royal tailor made that particular dress.

Dido Belle
Dido Belle was born into slavery as the natural daughter of Maria Belle, an enslaved African woman and Captain John Lindsay, a naval officer stationed there. Lindsay took Belle with him when he returned to England and entrusting her to his uncle William Murray, 1st Earl of Mansfield to raise. The Murrays educated Belle, bringing her up as a free gentlewoman at Kenwood House, with their niece Lady Elizabeth Murray. Belle lived there for 30 years. It is a very interesting story as at time, normally coloured people were normally slaves. They must have helpers in the house who were coloured people as well. I wonder how Belle feels, did she felt guilty or lucky for being born in upper class English family. There's a movie on Dido story in 2014.


The exterior

I love this side of the house as it reminds me of the Notting Hill movie. Will definitely watch this movie this weekend. :-)




There's a lake in front of the house with sweeping hilly garden. It's just beautiful. The woodland around the house is pretty ancient too. Plus they have a cute dairy farm as well.


I completed the tour of the house and garden in 2.5 hours. I enjoyed the cafe as well, the coffee and cakes are fabulous. They have afternoon tea on offer, 22.50 pounds per person.

I recommend this place if you love old mansions and its history.


No comments:

Post a Comment