Monday 15 June 2015

London Tube Challenge : Central Line

After I completed my Jubilee Line challenge yesterday, I thought it wasn't so bad. So, I decided to attempt the Central line challenge today because I have nothing else better to do anyway. Started from stations in Essex;  i.e. Epping, Theydon Bois, Debden, Loughton & Buckhurst Hill. I wanted to stop at Theydon Bois station and have a look at the quaint village. Wikipedia stated that there's no street light along its street. But, I stopped at Loughton instead and was greeted by a large Sainsbury building just in front of the station. Where is the village and churches that I saw in the picture?? I realised my mistake when I got home and looked at my notes. When the train was travelling from Woodford to Epping, I felt like I was stepping into a different place. I'm no longer in a city. There's even cows and horses in the fields along the train tracks. :-)


Next, the train passed through Woodford, Snaresbrook & Leyton stations. There's a large TK Maxx outlet just opposite Leyton station. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to pop into the shop. I continued on till I reached Mile End station. Once I exited the station, there's the usual London map board in front. I walked towards Whitechapel area when I stumbled upon a strange street. I was suddenly surrounded by South Asian people and hearing different language being spoken. There's a market along the road up to the Whitechapel overground station. I saw a large East London mosque as well. 

I kept on walking until I reached Old Spitalfields market. There's a lovely church opposite the market, Christ Church. The famous Ten Bell pub was just across the church. It was alleged to have been a rendezvous of some of the Jack the Ripper's prostitutes victims, before they were murdered. 


Continued on until I reached Liverpool street station. Don't know how I ended up there but there I was trying to find my way back to a tube station.

From Liverpool street station, I headed towards Ealing Broadway station, the last station on the Central Line. Passed through Oxford Circus, Marble Arch, Queensway till I reached Ealing Broadway. Circled back on the same train back to Bank station  and head home. 

I wanted to stop at Oxford Circus but I changed my mind. I did stop briefly at Marble Arch station to take some pictures of the wall. There are artsy decoration on the wall and each are different.

I completed my semi-tube challenge (I missed some stations) of the Central line within 8 hours. I enjoyed the first part of the journey (from Epping to Stratford) the most. Once, I passed through Bank stations onwards, the train was too busy and full with people. It was warm in the train as well. I felt sleepy too due to lack of oxygen in the underground, I guess.


No comments:

Post a Comment