Tuesday 18 August 2015

Malaysians... where art thou manners?

Today marked one month since I came back to Malaysia. I was quite happy to be back mostly because I missed the food and of course my mom's cooking.  But there's one thing that irked me the most since day one. Malaysian drivers are more rude and impatient compared to last I drove here. Even up to the point of scolding me for following the road rules!!

Living in London where its public transportation is one of the best in the world, means I don't have to drive to anywhere. Just hop on the tube or bus to get to where I need to be. It was stress-free as the only thing that I have to do is to get off the right stop (which I did messed-up a few times). 

But back in Malaysia, I need to drive myself to go to everywhere, even to the grocery store down the road. It is just not convenient to take public transport and it seems nobody is walking anywhere (perhaps hot weather is one of the reason). 

This happened to me today.
I was driving at 60 km/h as per the speed limit and was in the slowest lane. The fast lane was quite empty but the cars were moving more or less the same pace as mine. But all of a sudden, a car behind me keep honking at me for whatever reason that I don't understand. Well, I'm not going to go faster just because someone asked me to! I was going to turn to the left soon anyway so might as well not   let that creep to pressure me to speed up. He then passed my car and suddenly slowed down his car in front of me. WTH? Luckily I was driving quite slow and able to avoid hitting his car. He then speed up and left the scene. I was quite spooked and quickly find a place to stop to calm myself down. Was I just being road-bullied just now? The only thing that I don't understand was I to be blame? Did I not follow the road rule? Was I wrong to drive at the speed limit indicated?  

I do have a feeling that Malaysians in general are unhappy. With the current political and economy condition of our country, no wonder we are throwing manners out of the window. We have no respect to each other. We just abandoned reasons and lead emotions rule our heads. 

~Being rude is just not cool~

rude

No comments:

Post a Comment